Wednesday, September 4, 2013

A little more rock and roll

Ah, day 2 of the build.  Everyone moving a little slower, but none the less, motivated to get after "the big dig" again.  (I'm thinking this crew could have finished the Boston tunnel in half the time :) ) We gained one more worker as Rachel had beaten the stomach bug that attacked her and Michael so viciously.  We were bound and determined to finish digging.  I was over joyed when the architect and mason measured the trough I worked on and pronounced it "good!"
Now, as for the other times they measured the various holes we were digging, the news was never good - or the same.  At one point, as i was digging one of the main footer holes i was told I had to dig 20 more centimeters, the next time they measured I learned I had to dig another 40 centimeters.  Apparently they don't think I could handle the news of how much more I had to go all at once.  Thankfully, all the others were experiencing the same.  At least I didn't have the same challenge as Linda and Aiko who had several colonies of red ants in their area of digging. Apparently these ants were none to pleased with their relocation so they bit the gals-a lot!
Rachel , Lawrence and Heather absolutely crushed their footer hole - over 5 feet deep - most impressive.
Meanwhile, a huge dump truck delivered several tons of huge rocks......hey, didn't we just pull their relatives out of the ground??!!!
After lunch, several of the team broke off to work on the rebar and tying it together.  Now, if you've never done this it is very meticulous work made even more challenging after you've been digging for a day and a half and have lost full use of your hands due to cramping and fatigue!
Meanwhile, we all kept on digging, and digging and digging.  More digging tomorrow! More updates to follow.  Here is the team at the end of day 2:

No comments:

Post a Comment