Sunday, September 1, 2013

First full day in Bolivia and important facts learned

Well, the first day was a day of "learning" here in Bolivia.  For example, I learned that I cannot sleep (even in 1st class) on a 757 airplane where the seats barely recline. I learned La Paz is the worlds 2nd highest airport in elevation in the world at over 12,000 feet!! Now, this is an important fact to know because when you haven't slept in over 24 hours and have little oxygen to breath, one can become rather loopy! Guilty as charged!!  I also learned that if your friends go up to one of the immigration booths and one of them faints when you go up to the other booth and say "mi Amiga fall and go boom" - Rachel's head hit pretty hard :(  the guard will rush your approval through! Thanks Rach for taking one for the team!  For the record, other than a very large bump on her head, Rachel is fine.  Not gonna lie, it was kind of scary.  Here she is convincing us she's okay.

We met our local Habitat guide at the airport and loaded our bus to head to the hotel. Here's where I learned that I NEVER want to drive here myself. Holy cow, it is a free for all!!! We learned that as pedestrians, you cross the street at your own peril. We also learned that the regular bus drivers regularly drink and drive! In fact, it was getting so bad, the government passed a law that the bus drivers can't drink during working hours. Well, the bus drivers went on strike until they reversed their decision!!! Thank goodness today is some national holiday where there are NO cars allowed on the road.  I like our chances of being able to navigate the streets while walking today.
I learned that this is going to be a fabulous week.  The team bonded from the minute we all got together yesterday.
We went to visit one of the Habitat homes previously built and met with the local staff learning about the local construction etc.  we then took a field trip to visit a Habitat family that is in their house. We visited them, had empanadas (yummy!) and saw the construction type. Here the owner is explaining the layout.


Above is their kitchen


We then learned about our site. Here is where we will dig out the foundation.  From the looks of the ground, we're going to be using the pic axe A LOT!


No work site is complete without your "site sheep. "...and of course the black sheep of the family :)

Either doing his Tebow pose, or praying for soft soil.  Either way, Larry has us covered.



No comments:

Post a Comment